Born of Illusion - Teri Brown Born of Illusion is a wonderfully delicious swirl of historical fiction and magic.

Anna Van Housen can sense feelings and see the future. She's lived an unpredictable life in which she has traveled from place to place and has helped her mother escape imprisonment multiple times. Not to mention, she and her mother break the law quite regularly.

Stories with magicians really intrigue me and Born of Illusion is everything I wanted in that department. Miss Brown not only showed us the magic everyone else saw but also everything the Van Housen women had to do behind the scenes. We were able to see their every secret. None of the magic was lost in those revelations though and the magic tricks and illusions were just as wonderful. Some of my favorite parts were the séances. They weren't dark but they were just creepy enough for you to really enjoy them.

The historical time period Miss Brown chose was perfect for the job. It added just the right amount of that old world feel mixed with the excitement and uncertainty the new technology and way of life the 1920s brought. I could not have asked for a better setting.

The love story left a little something to be desired. Anna and Cole are both perfect for each other but it wasn't as developed as I would have liked.

My only other complaint is the ending. Everything builds and builds until Anna finally confronts the antagonist but then you missed everything because she goes unconscious. It left things very anti-climatic for me.

With that said, I'm curious to see what Miss Brown will be doing with the next book. She left things pretty tied up, leaving just a few loose ends and just enough room for another book.