Spies and Prejudice - Talia Vance Spies and Prejudice was just the book I needed. It was fun and lighthearted with just the right amount of love inserted into the mix.

Here we have a story about a girl (Berry) who still hasn’t mourned the loss of her mother. She works for her father as a spy and has some very loyal friends. When she sees her mother’s name on a document one night, she makes it her mission to find and read it. Along the way she meets the handsome Tanner, his brother, and befriends Drew.

Going into it, I really wasn’t sure what to expect. I knew Spies and Prejudice was supposed to be kind of a modern play off of Pride and Prejudice but I couldn’t think of any type of plot that would go along with this type of story. I didn’t feel like Miss Vance threw me straight into the story, more like she eased me in. She gave me just the right amount of time to get a feel for the heroine/narrator, Berry.

The narrative was easily my favorite part of this book. Berry is a prejudice but not to the point where I wanted to strangle her. She’s sarcastic and an overall fun MC to follow. Before this, I’d never read a book where I just love reading the narrative. Berry’s voice breathed life into Miss Vance’s story, writing, and other characters as well. Quite frankly, I’m a little blown away by it. I didn’t really identify with Berry’s character but I understood her thoughts and logic and enjoyed her personality, which is very different from my own.

All while I was reading, I was trying to draw parallels with this and Pride and Prejudice. To be honest, I feel like I understand Pride and Prejudice more so now than I did before. Maybe it was because Vance’s writing is simpler (not in a bad way) than Austen’s. I could plainly pick out the pride and the prejudice between Berry and Tanner. I think I understood Mr. Darcy before, but I feel like Spies and Prejudice and Tanner have given me a greater understanding.

I’ll admit that I was a little scared that I might be let down. Pride and Prejudice is easily one of my favorite novels so while I was excited to read Spies and Prejudice was a little worried it would somehow just massacre Austen’s work in some way. I’ll let you in on a little secret though.

It didn’t.

When it came to what exactly happened to Berry’s mother, Miss Vance really kept me guessing right up to the end. As the plot unfolded at just the right pace, I was actually sometimes wishing it would go on hold. Tanner and Berry’s interactions were such a treat I found myself wishing for more quiet moments with them (just like with Elizabeth and Mr. Darcy; go figure!). But Miss Vance didn’t put the plot on hold which is why I think their little romance is so wonderful. She must’ve learned a few things from Miss Austen….

But why the four stars then? The plot was fine. The characters were all great. The romance was sweet. For some reason, I just felt like something was missing. I can’t say what because I’m not sure. I felt like Drew’s story was left a little unclear. Whose side was he really on? And Tanner did leave a little something to be desired.

Other than that, I really don’t have any complaints. If you’re looking for a light, summer read, then Spies and Prejudice is definitely for you.