City of Bones - Cassandra Clare What to say? City of Bones was pretty fantastic. I've never fallen into a book that has captivated me so completely.

In all honesty, I didn't really get into this book until almost page 100. It wasn't because the writing was bad or the story wasn't interesting and the characters were fine. For some reason, it just took me a little longer to get into this one. If you find yourself having the same issue, I urge you to keep reading. Do not give up. If you do, you will be missing out on a wonderfully captivating series.

The world and plot were put together very nicely. Clare has managed to seamlessly weave vampires, werewolves, demons, and angels all together into a coherent story line. The plot itself is...unpredictable. At least, I didn't expect the ending.... But, to be honest. When I started reading this book, I wasn't really expecting everything it turned out to be. City of Bones actually left me a little disappointed. But not because it wasn't great. It was. But I went into it expecting something totally different and similar to every other urban fantasy out there. I went into it thinking that the author would give me what I wanted. She didn't. And that made rating this book really hard. I had to separate how the book actually was from the fact that I didn't get what I wanted.

Now, you're probably thinking, that it doesn't sound like I enjoyed it all that much. The thing is, I did but I didn't at the same time. We're all so use to having (for example) the love interests ending up together in the first book. We get what we want. We may not know how we'll get it, but we know that in the end it'll be there and it'll happen. Clare does not write like that. She doesn't typically give you what you want and that's something you just have to accept. Which brings me to the topic of writing.

There is absolutely no assurance in her writing that there will be a happy ending. None whatsoever. Clare strings you along like no other author possibly could. And she does it so well. City of Bones is written in third person, but I get so pulled into the characters heads and POVs that I sometimes forget. Clare is a very talented author.

Characters...hmm, that's a tough one. I actually found Jace, Alec, and Isabelle to all be jerks throughout most of the book. But for some reason, I couldn't help but vote for them. They had to win. It didn't matter how badly they treated Clary, they had to succeed. As the story progresses, you get the sense that there's more to them then what you see. And you primarily see them acting like jerks because it's in Clary's POV. She doesn't know them. They don't know her. There's no bound between them, so you don't see the depths of Jace or any of the other characters, excluding her best friend Simon.

Simon bugs me. In fact, I wanted Simon to leave every time he showed up. I just hated him so much. He's actually a very sensitive and kind character but that's one of the reasons why I didn't like him. He lets Jace push him around and he was getting in the middle of Jace and Clary, messing things up when they just started getting good.

Luke, Clary's father-figure, is so wonderful. From the moment he entered the book, I couldn't help but like him. He's the solid, dependable character that remains on the sidelines that we all love so much.

All in all, trust me when I say, you do not want to pass on City of Bones.