Not a Drop to Drink - Mindy McGinnis Lynn lives off of the small pond in her back yard. She has spent her whole life defending it alongside her mother. But one autumn day, things go terribly wrong and Lynn alone is left to defend it. The coarse personality she's grown into starts to soften though when she meets Lucy and Eli, two city-dwellers who don't have a clue how to survive in the harsh Ohio winters.

Not a Drop to Drink is not your typical dystopian. It's really about Lynn surviving from day to day. It actually reminded me of Hatchet, which is about a boy surviving after his plane crashes in the middle of nowhere. But, unlike Hatchet, Not a Drop to Drink never got boring and had more than two people in it.

Miss McGinnis spends just enough time showing us what day-to-day life has always been like for Lynn for the beginning events in Not a Drop to Drink to seem out of the ordinary. So what if someone approaches your house, right? I mean, we deal with that every day. But the beginning of the novel is essential for us to understand what simple acts like that truly imply in Not a Drop to Drink.

Lynn lives in a very brutal world.

Eli was so wonderful. He was sweet, kind, and didn't let his hardships stop him from smiling or flirting. If Lynn had met a boy that wasn't like Eli, I very much doubt he would have survived. Eli is literally the first boy her age she's ever met. The very light romance was appropriate to the story and ultimately endearing when it comes to Eli.

Lynn herself was.... I wouldn't want get on her bad side. But she learns a lot about human interaction when she takes Lucy under her wing. Lucy was the perfect thing for Lynn and very cute. Only five or six, Lucy didn't quite understand all the danger around her at a level that she probably needed to, but she understood enough that she never became annoying. Her role as an innocent little girl living in a brutal world was written to perfection.

Even with all the character development, Lynn was fundamentally the same character we started the novel with but she wasn't a completely different girl either. She understood the world she lived in a lot better on both the good and the bad scale. Her mother raised her to be a certain way for sixteen years, so I find it appropriate that even at the end of the novel, she was cold and direct when it came down to what she felt she had to do to keep herself and others safe. It was never really a question of revenge. It all was just what she thought she had to do.

Miss McGinnis is a very talented author. The writing style was definitely unique in a good way. It was this cross of first person and third person on a level I've never seen before. She used the third person pronouns (she, he, it, etc.), but the voice itself felt like first person with the refinement of third person.

I wouldn't recommend this one to younger readers what with a lot of the language and some things other things. I wouldn't say Not a Drop to Drink was gory, graphic, or anything like that. I think it was realistic to the setting the main character was in and that setting is brutal. But I'm glad I finally got to read it and enjoyed the taste of something different.