The Selection  - Kiera Cass I was kind of on the sidelines with The Selection. I'd heard conflicting opinions about it so I didn't read it for a long time. Finally, one night I saw it was available for less than $9.00 as an ebook so I took a chance. And boy am I glad I did.

My favorite part in or about probably 90% of the books I read is the love story. If you don't mind having a book be all of about the love story then I'd say go ahead and read The Selection. However, if that annoys you, I'd tell you to avoid it at all costs. The Selection is a love story. Yes, there are other things going on that are unrelated to the intended couple, but those really are just there to fill the story out.

America Singer is near the bottom of the caste system. She is now in a competition with thirty four other girls to win the heart of Prince Maxon. Things would be quite easy for her if not for the fact that she comes to the palace without any interest in Maxon.

I adore this love story. America comes to the palace without any intention of falling in love and yet, she doesn't even realize it when she's fallen for Maxon. I can't say that bothered me, it was to be expected--not that that's bad. At least, I don't think it's bad. I never get tired of love stories because each set of characters is different which makes the reasoning and personality behind the characters' decisions different. America has just come out of a two-year relationship after expecting the boy of her dreams to propose. Quite frankly, he crushed her, and just when I was starting to like him too.

Of course, how can anyone in this series stand up to Maxon? He's just so charming. And you know you've got a good guy when 1.) he doesn't throw you out of the palace after you yell at him and 2.) he still doesn't kick you out after you knee him in the groin. But Maxon and America are so cute together. I can't say I love any one particular character but I hated Celeste. She's awful. Just. Argh.

One of the reasons why I've taken a step back from dystopian novels is because of what I like to call rebel syndrome. I just couldn't do it anymore after Delirium. They're annoying. But that wasn't the case in The Selection. They didn't dominate. And so far they haven't turned out to be the bad guys which, quite frankly, is a relief. I want to see a different ending and I'll be disappointed if they turn into the good guys in the end.

As far as writing goes. I didn't have any problems with it. In fact, it didn't take me long to miss the world of The Selection. Some things can only be truly experienced once and, for me, that's this love story (and some of the other favorite novels unfortunately). I want to reread it because I became so enveloped in it but it's not the same. I fell right into this story and I had to force myself out of it because, well, The One isn't out yet.